Sunday, December 21, 2008

Merry Christmas

There are things I love and dislike about the holiday season (I don't hate....anything or anyone...but somethings I dislike).

I love the football bowl season, even though the bowl games are meaningless. I love watching the NFL games......especially in the snow.

I love smoking turkeys for my family and cooking and eating tailgate food.

I love visiting with my family, hugging all of them, telling them I love them and meaning it when I tell them I wish I could spend more time with them.

I love making my resolutions to work out more, eat better and lose weight....even if I don't.

What do I dislike about the holidays??? Year-ender stories, "best ofs". Whatever you want to call them. The truth is, there is NO NEWS to speak of to cover around the holidays and NO REPORTERS since so many are taking time off. These are nothing more than time-fillers to fill out the newspapers and newscasts so there won't be blank paper and dead air from the network all the way down to the local level. Keep that in mind during the Today Show's "look back at 2008." (yawn)

It's funny how the holidays have changed for me over the years. When I was a child, I dreamed of "what I would get." The older I got, the more I cherished what I had, especially the relationships. Now, I don't want for anything. The most precious gift is to share precious time with loved ones. This Christmas could be a tough one. All of us, may not be together next Christmas. Let's share a meal, a smile and a laugh and keep our fingers crossed that we're blessed enough to do it again next year.

No comments: