Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Ides of March Madness

I'm not a big fan of winter, but one of the highlights for me is the NCAA Tournament! I always look forward to it. Although I don't pay all that much attention to the regular season, I love the tournament. I fill out my bracket and try to watch every game. I love pulling for my favorite teams and the underdogs! Bridget gets in on the fun too. If not for Mario Chalmers, she would have won her bracket last year!

I'm sad UT Martin didn't make it into the tournament. It would have been great letting the entire nation see just what a talent Lester Hudson is.

I'm keeping an eye on Memphis, Bridget's alma mater. Although many pooh-pooh their record because they play in the weak Conference USA, I keep seeing their opponents held to 30 and 40 points, and defense wins championships. We'll also be pulling for Bridget's other alma mater, Syracuse! My alma mater, Middle Tennessee didn't make it again this year. My "internet" alma mater, Mississippi State, might have a shot to get in. We'll see.

Louisville plays great defense too, and look to be peaking. North Carolina has great talent and if they can focus, they'll be hard to beat. I think U Conn would have a better showing if one of their best players hadn't gotten injured. Of course, I'll also be pulling for Tennessee. I'd like to see them have a nice run, although I think they had a much better shot last year.

It really does seem to be wide open this year for many teams. We'll just have to see how the basketball bounces.

No comments: